Thursday, April 2, 2009

Are you ready? New I-9 requirements take effect tomorrow, April 3


The new requirements regarding completing the Form I-9, to verify employment eligibility in the US, take effect tomorrow, April 3rd. Starting tomorrow, employers must use the new I-9 form to verify new hires and to reverify existing hires. The list of acceptable documents that an employee can present will change tomorrow also, primarily by eliminating expired documents from the list. USCIS has issued a Q&A document on the new requirements, available here. As the Q&A explains:
The new rule:
• Requires that all documents presented during the verification process be unexpired;
• Eliminates List A identity and employment authorization documentation Forms I-688, I-688A, and I-688B (Temporary Resident Card and outdated Employment Authorization Cards);
• Adds foreign passports containing certain machine-readable immigrant visas to List A;
• Adds to List A as evidence of identity and employment authorization valid passports for citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) and the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), along with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI ; and
• Makes technical updates.
The new I-9 and instructions are here. The updated USCIS Handbook for Employers (M-274) is here.

Q&A on I-9.

No comments:

Post a Comment