Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day today!

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh (Happy St. Patrick's Day - in Irish). I moved to the US from Ireland 15 years ago, and I am still amazed at the way Americans celebrate St. Patrick's Day (March 17). I can't imagine Irish people wearing bacdges on July 4th saying "Kiss me, I'm American!" St. Patrick's Day is a far bigger celebration here than it is in Ireland, though the Irish celebrate more than when I left in 1994. It's still more of an arts festival in Ireland, rather than the drinking festival it is here (at least in Dallas!). If interested, check out the website for the Dublin St. Patrick's Festival.

And yes, that is me in the center of the photo, after running the Chicago marathon in 2004. Some of my family came to watch, and clearly didn't want to blend into the crowd!

No comments:

Post a Comment